Creating a Laboratory Specific Safety Plan
Lab Safety Plans, Protocols, and Notebook Overview
All Rice research laboratories should have a Laboratory Safety Plan to provide basic training to the workers in the lab. Laboratories exempted from creating these safety plans are those that rely on computers for their work and whose environments resemble an office setting.
Bioraft will be used as a repository for both the general university wide and laboratory specific safety plans and procedures.
Laboratory Specific Safety Plan
The Laboratory Specific Safety Plan consists of two components. One component is a set of general university wide safety plans and procedures. The general manuals are intended to provide high-level safety information about Rice laboratories. The second component is laboratory specific. This portion of the safety plan is intended to be a part of a broader training that may include in person or task specific training unique to the individual laboratory.
Creating Your Set of Laboratory Specific Safety Manuals
The following is a list of documents to be uploaded to the documents section of your lab's Bioraft profile.
Section 1: Table of contents and Emergency Procedures
- Download complete and upload the Lab Safety Plan Signature page.
- Download complete and upload the Emergency Contact and Response form.
- Obtain and upload a copy of your building floor plan showing evacuation routes and location of the emergency equipment from Environmental Health and Safety.
- Upload a specific floor plan drawing of your laboratory into the documents section of your lab's Bioraft profile.
- Contact EHS at X4444 or email@example.com for your building's specific floor plan detailing exits and emergency equipment, then upload to Bioraft.
Section 2: University Policies and Procedures
- Upload the General Emergency Procedures. to your Bioraft profile.
- Upload the Rice University Policy No. 313 "Laboratory Safety Policy" to your Bioraft profile
- Upload the Laboratory Safety Procedures Associated with Lab Safety Policy 313. to your Bioraft profile.
Section 3: Laboratory Specific Operation
- If chemicals are used in the lab, download complete and upload the Rice University Chemical Hygiene Plan. To complete the Rice University Chemical Hygiene Plan, the following items must be added to your to your Bioraft profile.:
- Lab specific standard operating procedures and protocols. These must be developed and placed with the lab specific safety plan. A template for modification can be found here.
- Download and complete the list of protocols and procedures that are hazardous enough to require a supervisor's prior authorization. then upload to your Bioraft profile.
- Download and complete the document detailing the specific location of the Material Safety Data Sheets for hazardous chemicals used in the lab then upload to your Bioraft profile.
- Download the Rice University Waste Disposal Procedures found here. then upload to your Bioraft profile.
- If your laboratory is classified as BSL-1 or BSL-2, download the Rice University Biosafety Manual. then upload to your Bioraft profile.
- If your laboratory works with human samples, human and non-human primate cell lines or tissues download the Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure Control Plan along with the Rice University Hepatitis B Vaccination Declaration then upload to your Bioraft profile.
- For new lab workers, download the Rice University New Lab Researcher Checklist. Complete this form for each new employee and place it in the binder in this section.