Compressed hydrogen gas and certain mixtures are classified as flammable and have special handling and storage requirements. Laboratories are limited to maximum allowable quantities flammable gases based on the location in the building and floor. It is recommended not to store excess flammable gases in the laboratories to avoid noncompliance with local fire code. In addit
- Store in approved vented gas cylinder cabinet or vented enclosure with the safety cap in place when not in use.
- Cylinders must be secured with nylon strap or chain
- Close the cylinder valve when not in use.
- Do not store with incompatible chemicals or gases
- Ensure all equipment are electrically grounded and bonded
- Excess flow restriction device must be installed at the cylinder
- Flammable gas detection must be use
- When changing cylinders, use a leak solution to check for leaks
- Wear all appropriate personal protective equipment
Regeneration of the glovebox dryers requires the use of a gas mixture of hydrogen balanced with an inert gas. It is recommended to use gas mixtures below the flammability limits avoid exceeding the maximum storage quantities for flammable gases.